The Purpose of the Awards
The Lions Children of Courage Awards is an established project of Lions Clubs International in New Zealand. The purpose is to recognize the achievements of young people with additional needs who would not otherwise receive recognition. All children just want to be accepted by others regardless of any special needs they may have. These awards will portray them as children who have successfully overcome additional barriers which face them in this world.
Importantly; it is not a competition.
Every recipient of an award is a “winner” in his or her own right. The family also benefits from the award, sharing in their pride and the recognition of how their children have overcome the many hardships that they face on a day to day basis. The recognition of these young people’s achievements will act as an encouragement for their future, help them to believe in themselves, improve their self-worth and show them that the society they live in values their contributions.
The awards are divided into four categories:
- Contribution amid physical and/or intellectual impediments
- Courageous act or deed
- Sibling recognition
- Inspiring sporting achievement
The Nomination Process
All Lions Clubs nominate one child from their area to receive an award – awards are restricted to children between the ages of five (5) and fifteen (15) years at close of nominations.
Howick Lions Club is inviting schools and parents in the area to apply for nomination. If your child is nominated by the Club, we will send you a letter requesting further information (nothing personal, just things like your child’s interests and activities), to assist the compere of the event. We also ask for a photo of your child to be included in the award presentation, however it is completely fine if you would prefer not to supply a photo.
How to Apply for Nomination
If you live in the Howick area and would like to apply for your child to be nominated,
please download and return this application form:
- Return the form and additional information to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Presentation Evening
If your child is nominated you will be invited to attend a presentation evening with other children nominated by our fellow neighbouring Lions Clubs.
As each child is called forward at the award presentation, a short introduction and summary of the reasons for the award is read out. The recipient of the award then receives a plaque and a certificate.
The Children of Courage Award Categories
The four categories for which a child may be nominated are…
- Special needs…Children with special need i.e. sight, hearing, speech impaired, wheelchair bound or long periods of hospitalization or medical treatments.
- Courageous act or deed…Showing great concern for others, aided at an accident, instrumental in the preservation of life or property. This category may also include children who have undergone lifesaving operations, undergone daily medical treatments i.e. diabetes, or care for parents with a disability.
- Sibling recognition… siblings who actively participate in the daily care for their brother or sister who have either a physical or intellectual disability.
- Inspiring sporting achievement…Children who have overcome great personal hardship/disadvantages to achieve a high degree of sporting prowess either as an individual or team member.